In early 2022, I walked across the South Island of New Zealand on Te Araroa. Every day, for more than two months, I ate the same breakfast, one of the two meals of my day. And you know what? I couldn’t get enough of it!
It’s an overnight oat, an oat-based preparation that swells overnight in cold water. A hearty, good, protein-packed, raw breakfast!
I add chia seeds for a creamier texture and even more protein. All this with powdered plant-based milk, cinnamon, coconut sugar (to avoid the insulin spike and hunger that comes back too quickly from refined sugar), nuts, dried fruits and even peanut butter!
I prepare the mixture in a freezer bag, and once I arrive at the camp, I just add cold water the night before and let it swell overnight.
I usually eat it two hours after I start walking and add the peanut butter and nuts at the last moment.
Preparation: 5 min
Rest: from 1 to 10 h
NUMBER OF PORTIONS
All the year
For hiking / Raw / One pot / Gluten-free
- 1 mug of oats
- 5 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon of plant-based milk powder
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- a small handful of nuts and dried fruits as a bonus
- 1 mug (for dosing)
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 reusable freezer bag
- Place oats, chia seeds, coconut sugar, cinnamon, raisins and plant milk powder in the freezer bag.
- The day before breakfast, place the mixed mixture in 2 bowls and cover with cold water. The water should be about two centimeters higher than the solid mixture.
- Stir and let stand overnight.
- In the morning, add a spoonful of peanut butter, dried fruit or even fresh fruit if you have some on hand!