We are super fans of this pan-fried calzone recipe that satisfies our (very regular) cravings for pizza, even on the road, even without an oven! A very simple homemade dough, a topping of seasonal vegetables, an ultra easy to make cheese béchamel, a frying pan back and forth and it’s done!
For the dough:
- 2 mugs of flour (here whole wheat flour)
- 1 tablespoon of baker’s yeast
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of salt
For the vegan béchamel:
- 1 mug of vegetable milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- salt, pepper, nutmeg
For the filling:
- tomato puree for the base
- seasonal vegetables of your choice, here: spinach, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, black olives
- garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper
- 1 stove
- 1 mug (for dosing)
- 1 salad bowl or large bowl
- 1 saucepan
- 1 stove
- 1 whisk
- 1 spatula
- 1 tablespoon
- Mix the baker’s yeast and sugar in a little water, if possible lukewarm, and leave for 5 minutes.
- Put the flour and salt in the bowl and mix.
- Add the olive oil and the water containing the yeast and the sugar, mix.
- Add water gradually until you get a soft dough that does not stick to your fingers, it takes about 2/3 of a mug.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes, adding a little flour if it sticks.
- Caress the ball of dough with a little olive oil and leave to rest for at least 1 hour.
- Cook your different vegetables.
- Prepare the béchamel sauce by mixing the vegetable milk, corn starch, oil, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk continuously until it thickens.
- Separate your pizza dough into 4 balls and spread with your fingers.
- Arrange the tomato purée on the base over the entire surface except for the edges, then the vegetables, spices and béchamel sauce on one half.
- Fold the dough to close the calzone by pinching the edges tightly.
- Cook in a frying pan over medium heat, 5 minutes on each side and 1 minute on the slice.
- Enjoy hot or take it cold to eat wherever you want!